Auditions for A Raisin in the Sun
Accepting Video Auditions Through March 30th
Email your audition video and any questions to Stage Manager Sophi Quimby at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Raisin in the Sun
A Searing Drama by Lorraine Hansberry
Directed by EG Bailey and Sha Cage
Set on Chicago’s South Side, this American classic revolves around the divergent dreams within three generations of the Younger family. When the family patriarch’s life insurance money comes through, each family member has a different idea about what to do with the money. The Younger family’s heroic struggle to retain dignity in a harsh and changing world takes center stage in this searing drama of hope and inspiration.
Roles being cast include:
- Lena Younger (Mama) – Black, Female-Presenting, 40’s and up. The family matriarch
- Walter Lee Younger – Black, Male-Presenting, 20’s to mid 30’s. Mama’s oldest child
- Beneatha “Bennie” Younger – Black, Female-Presenting. 20’s. Mama’s daughter
- Ruth Younger – Black, Female-Presenting, 20’s to mid 30’s. Walter Lee’s wife
- Travis Younger – Black, Male-Presenting, about 10 years old. Walter Lee and Ruth’s son
- Joseph Asagai – Black, Male-Presenting, 20’s to 30’s. A student in Chicago
- George Murchison – Black, Male-Presenting, 20’s. Beneatha’s boyfriend.
- Bobo – Black, Male-Presenting, 20’s to 30’s. A friend of Walter Lee
- Karl Lindner – White, Male-Presenting, 30’s to 40’s. Representative of Clybourne Park Improvement Association
- Moving Men – Any Ethnicities, Two Male-Presenting Actors, 20’s-30’s.
- Your audition video will consist of a reading of one of the sides (listed below)
A note from your directors: “Your video does not need to be professional. You can use your phone or have someone capture it for you. Try to be in a well lit area, Looking at the camera or your head up as much as possible and audition with energy vs just reading the material. Thanks and Good luck!”
Audition Sides (Click on the character to download the script)
- Virtual Rehearsals start approximately April 17th via Zoom
- In-person rehearsals start April 24th (Final rehearsal schedule will be set once the show is cast)
- Performing June 9th – 25th (June 9-10, 15-17, 22-24 at 7pm; June 18 and 25 at 2pm)